Special Immigrant Visas

The intricate U.S. immigration laws contain certain provisions that are aimed at protecting specific classes of immigrants.  Although many immigration law firms stay away from these specified areas of the law, at Froman Law Firm we use them to help our clients whenever possible.  Some of the specific classes of persons who may be eligible for special immigrant visas include U.S. Armed Forces Servicemembers, Battered Spouses and Children, Returning Residents, Religious Workers, and Juvenile Wards.

U.S. Armed Forces Servicemembers

The United States provides additional immigration benefits for U.S. Armed Forces Servicemembers and their families.  Those benefits can range from expedited processing of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence to forgiveness of an unlawful entry by the spouse of a servicemember.  There are various options for servicemembers and their families that extend beyond the general provisions of the immigration laws.  Additionally, at Froman Law Firm we support our servicemembers and offer discounted fees for members of the U.S. military.  Mr. Froman is a retired Navy JAG Corps attorney who served as the Navy's Immigration attorney for three years in the Pentagon.  During that time, while representing the Department of Defense, he negotiated with the Immigration and Naturalization Service the requirements for this Special Immigrant category.  If you or a family member is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and you or that person needs help with their immigration status, please contact our office.

Battered Spouses and Children

In an effort to protect spouses and children from abuse, the government has provided specific provisions in the immigration code to help people who have suffered abuse.  Special visas are available to victims of abuse, and many victims may also qualify for permanent residence.  It is important to recognize that abuse comes in many different forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, and emotional abuse, such as manipulation.  If you or someone you know has been abused by their spouse, parent, or step-parent, that person may be eligible for a special immigrant visa.  Please contact our office to make an appointment with one of our attorneys.

Juvenile Wards

Minor children who have become wards of the court are eligible for certain immigration benefits.  A child may be a ward of the court under many different situations.  For example, a foreign child who enters the United States and is later placed under the guardianship of someone in the United States (often a person who wishes to adopt that child) may also be considered a ward of the court.  Additionally, if a foreign child is residing in the United States with his parents and his parents are killed, perhaps in a car accident, the child will be placed in foster care as a ward of the court.  Even children who are found entering the United States illegally, without a parent or guardian, will become wards of the court.  In all of these situations, and many others, the child may be eligible for a special immigrant visa.  If you know a foreign child who may be a ward of the state, please contact our office.  One of our attorneys will discuss the case with you and help you determine if the child is eligible for immigration benefits.